Thursday, February 16, 2006

Reading Marley

Yesterday, I started on a book I have just received, i.e. Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog. Before commencing on the read, I reminded myself to go slow so as to prolong the pleasure of it.

Apparently and not surprisingly, the notion got thrown out of the window and by the end of the night, I have finished more than half of the book. Grrr. It was a refreshing switch from James Frey's hatred-filled autobiography which caused me to stop reading several instances because his description was too disturbing.

The story of Marley, on the other hand, was very close to my heart because the dog has very similar characteristics as Mister Toto. At some parts I was laughing aloud, some parts I was nodding in agreement, and at others, my heart ached.

There was this instance where Marley (who was portrayed as a dumb but happy dog) did something rather clever. Apparently, his mistress had just miscarried and was grieved beyond consolation. His master decided to purchase a bouquet of spring flowers to surprise his wife, whilst on his way home. When he reached home, he opened the back door of his car. Marley leapt out and he (master) noticed that the bouquet of flowers had some broken stems, presumbly chewed off by the dog. Prying Marley's jaws opened, he saw the remains of red colored carnations petals. Only the carnations were chewed off, the rest of the flowers remained intact. It could be a strange force of coincidence, but yet, Marley had just destroyed any reminder to his mistress the distress of her miscarriage. Carnations are for mothers, aren't they? I am not sure if the author knew that. He certainly didn't mention it except for the fact that his wife started laughing at the absurdity of Marley eating flowers.

Anyway, I forced myself to close the book before reaching beneath my bed and cuddle the furry fat creature sleeping in bliss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home