Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Ouch ouch ouch.

Changed into my jogging attire and stepping into the lab, I heard my handphone ring.

Hello, I answered.

In the very noisy background, a Malay-sounding voice piped,"ARE YOU MISS L** Y** L**?"

Yes, I replied. How can I help you?

"I'VE GOT A..." *Click and line goes dead.*

Hmm, I thought as I stared at the phone, contemplating if I should call back. Deciding against the idea, rationalizing the joker would call back if it were to be urgent, I left for my run at the NUS tracks.

The NUS tracks was visibly quieter than usual. My body felt really lethargic and it seemed reluctant to be dragged into torture. Nevertheless, I set my iPod on the running tunes and began.

After 2 laps, a group of gung-ho looking girls began their 2.4km run, with their leader timing them. It sort of constructed a pace for me to follow, with the leader shouting their times as we passed through the line. As they finished their last lap, I was at my 8th, thinking miserably to myself that I have another 8 laps to cover. That was still twice the distance, which was kind of depressing.

By then, I was also suffering acute pain from the ramming of toenails against my shoes. My muscles were also tightening. Ouch, ouch, ouch. There was a terrible urge to stop. So the mind battled with the weak spirit as I proceeded to finish my 16 laps. At the end, I semi-hopped to the grandstand in pain and had a good mind to remove my shoes and throw them into the horizon.

Anyway, pain is good. (Don't I sound almost sadistic?) For a moment, it takes away any emotional and mental stress and provides a brief respite.

For this Valentine, I received a card that bestowed guilt. I received an extremely thoughtful gift(s) from a friend. I received a basket of sad-looking white roses from Anonymous.

I am in pain, but in a strange way, slightly bemused.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

16 laps??? (I presume 1 lap = 400m unless you're running the outermost circle)

I think I can only manage a horrible 11 mins for 6 laps now.

For my V-day, I received the wonderful gift of a sore throat that makes me cough every 5 seconds. Other than that it was just like any other day.

Anyway, at least jogging helps take your mind off things rite?

10:03 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

yeah, so i ran about 6.4km which is still kinda far from my aim of 10km. When will the day come.....

Ooo, nice v day gift. If that's the case, I received muscle aches and jammed up toes as well! :)

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... maybe I should go spend some time running 10km to get my mind off certain things as well. I haven't tried exercise therapy yet, maybe it might work.

I just got another V-day gift: an upset stomach after over-medication with overdosage of Strepsils and Dequalinium. The drawbacks of self-medication and accelerated recovery.

So did you get a new pair of running shoes after "throwing away" your old pair? =P

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home