Monday, August 17, 2009

Technology Awe

I figure myself as a sort of technology-savvy person, being able to adapt to technology and gadgets fairly quickly. However, customer service and support for technology is another matter. I either don't use them or never really had a good experiencee with them.

Today, I had to install a university-licensed SPSS Statistical Analysis software on to my laptop. (I am going to get to install SPSS Textual Analysis software as well and I am sooooooooooooo excited about that. Okay, sue me, I am a data analysis geek.) Installation is usually a fairly uncomplicated procedure but university-licensed software can be tricky. After some troublesome and complicated IT-support matters at NUS where I was based for 8 years, I was naturally anticipating that the IT support in the RHUL would be worse.

I called the IT Service Desk and a support officer identifying himself as Matthew responded. I explained to him my inability to install the software and expected him to ask me to come down to the Computer Center. Instead, he sent me an email to click on a link.

Me: Oh! Something is installing.
Matthew: Yep, just run it.
Me: ... (gets bored and started randomly moving my mouse)
Matthew: Erm, excuse me, could you stop moving your mouse?
Me: Huh? What? Erm, why? *Surprised he could see that I was doing so*
Matthew: Yeah, I'm trying to see what's wrong with your computer now.
Me: Huh. You mean you are remotely accessing my computer??!
Matther: Er, yeah? *in a duh-sort of voice*

Luckily, only my mum was chatting with me on MSN and she didn't have a funky nickname. Yeah, so with that remote livehelp, I didn't even have to explain much! He accessed my computer, figured out the problems and got them all sorted out.

Now, is this cool or what?

3 Comments:

Blogger musette said...

HAHAHA!!! Now I hope my IT dept doesn't do that, or else they'll know I'm almost always talking to a duckie who is lost.

6:47 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

yah i mean i don't even know he was going to remotely access my computer lor! and he acted as if i'm very suaku, don't even know what is remote livehelp. :/

7:04 PM  
Blogger anywool said...

wah dope.. i think this IS the kind of help to make sure things are solved.. omg man

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home