Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Furnace known as London Underground

It is amazing that in a developed city like London, the most commonly utilized transport mode - the London Underground - is not equipped with air-conditioning. No doubt, London usually suffers from freezing temperatures 75% of the year. Still, I can't fathom why they can't build the air-conditioners that can be utilized the rest of the 25% of the year and just freaking turn them off the rest of the time!

Just imagine being squashed into the tube with the rest of the commuters who are sticky with perspiration, the air thick with odours. Ugh! I only had to suffer 2 stops from Waterloo to London Bridge and I felt faint.

The tube advice includes "Carry water with you." Ha! Do these people even take the tube? The peak-hour carriages are usually so squashed you can't even swing a bottle of water to take a swig.

Yet another reason to love Singapore's MRT.


Post a Comment

<< Home