Monday, March 06, 2006

Why Felicity Huffman Didn't Win

For a good part of my life, I pity the people who have garnered my support. This is because I suffered from what I think is called the "Jinxed Supporter" syndrome. That just means that anybody, ranging from actors, actresses to soccer teams, will probably NOT WIN if I were to be supporting them. It goes to the extent that sometimes, people actually betted on the soccer teams because they know I am supporting their opponents. Anyway, the gist of it is - if I were to want the person or team I am supporting to win, I should not attempt to even glimpse at the event.

So, this morning, I was discretely catching The Oscars on the university's network TV. At the same time, I was chatting to my neighbor in Berkeley. The nominees for the Best Leading Actress were being introduced.

Me: I want Felicity Huffman to win!
Him: Yah, it's probably her.
Me: Huffman! Huffman! Huffman!
Him: No way keira knightley should win
Him: although i think she's kinda cute... haha
Him: yah... i think felicity huffman should win
Me: Huffman! Huffman! Huffman!

Obviously, I think Huffman is a very very talented actress. I read about her and her husband, and I think both of them are very intelligent thespians, not in it so much for fame as for self-accomplishment. Besides, the Oscars have a knack for rewarding people who uglify themselves (Think Charlize Theron in Monster, Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby). What is there to fault with Felicity?!

However, to my despair and unsurprisingly, the award went to Reese Whiterspoon instead. BAH! I am sorry, Felicity! I am the one who caused you not to win. I promise not to watch the next time you get nominated. :(

Our conversations continued. Apparently, he has just watched Match Point and is currently nosebleeding over the ever-so-perky Scarlet Johanson. So when Match Point was nominated for some category, he went slightly berserk.

Him: Match Point!
Him: I support Match Point.

But Match Point didn't win.

Me: HA HA HA! YOU ARE JINXED TOO.
Him: ...

Oh, a fellow jinxed supporter. Welcome to my world!
Best Director Nominees came on.

Me: I don't like Lee Ang.

As expected, Lee Ang won. Thanks to me, of course. I did not support him what.

Of course, we have the finale of the Best Motion Picture of the Year. It seemed almost like a shoo-in.

Him: I think it is probably Brokeback...
Me: Ew. Oh well. Should be it.
Him: If you looked at it overall....
Him: It is a pretty picture.
Him: Crash??? Ewww. Thats a worse choice.
Him: Any of capote, munich or gdnight or gdluck would have been better.

Jack Nicholson flung his arms to the air and announced the winner of the Best Motion Picture to be CRASH. What the...?! That must be a super dark horse.

Me: Eh.
Him: ...
Me: Crash won, can?
Him: ....
Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.
Me: My god, you are seriously jinxed.
Him: Crash???? Gosh *Disbelief*
Me: It is ALL YOUR FAULT.
Him: Gee.

WAHAHAHA. I happy leh. Now, I have got someone who is more of a jinxed supporter than me. WOOHOO!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CRASH was zai lah.
i lovedit lovedit lovedit lovedit.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that was from the otter.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops i clicked too many times. :P

4:59 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

wah, you are over zealous. Hmm, Okay I am not sure if it's opened here yet though. I will catch it if it does..

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh, i watched crash IN SINGAPORE like how long ago

11:29 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

YOU DID! ok fine, I am living in ice age then.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home