Thursday, March 02, 2006

All about Ice Cream

Yesterday, Mike IM-ed me to arrange a meetup. I haven't seen him since I left California. The last time I bade him farewell was in The Great Mall at Milpitas, and now he is back in sunny Singapore. How time flies.

Together with his two other colleuges, we indulged in the many flavors of Island Creamery and both of us reminisced about our past experiences, ranging from how we missed the vast spaces over at the US to harrowing escapes from a deranged stranger whom we thought was going to rob us. The latter event was a hilarious one:

Mike and I were strolling back to his car after the Love Parade Party in this shady district near the Civic Center. Mike looked around nervously and whispered,"Shucks. We shouldn't have taken this route. This is quite a dangerous area to walk through."

Right at that moment, someone yelled out from behind us,"HEY YOU! STOP RIGHT THERE."

We ignored and continued walking.

"HEY YOU, MISTER! YOU HEAR ME? STOP RIGHT THERE."

I turned to Mike,"You think he is calling you?" Mike looked petrified and shook his head. "Let's walk faster," I urged.

"HEY YOU, THE ONE WITH THE RED SHOES. STOP."

Mike was wearing red shoes.

We hurriedly walked and we heard the yells stopped. Instead, the voice seemed to be conversing in friendly tones with another person he has met. We relaxed a little and stopped at a junction by a red light.

Unfortunately, the voice caught up. The voice belonged to a tall black man who tapped Mike on his shoulder. We froze in fear. I half-thought he was going to pull out a gun.

TBM: Hey mister.

I swore Mike's face turned a few shades paler.

TBM: I don't mean no disrespect to you.
Mike: ... (nods)
TBM: But this lady here (points at me) is a keeper. You treat her well, you understand? She's beautiful (okay, I italicize the words to soften the impact of people who might suffer from the compulsion to puke), I tell ya.

The tall black man winked at me and walked away. I pondered if he wanted to ask for some change in return for his very kind words. I looked at Mike. Mike looked at me. We were both in a daze, unable to absorb the absurdity of the situation.

After a minute, Mike regained his color and exclaimed,"I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS GUY CHASED US A FEW STREETS TO TELL ME SUCH A BO LIAO THING!!!!!!!!!!!" He shook his head but we were both relieved we weren't robbed. Heh.

Okay, back to reality. At the Island Creamery, I had flavors ReverSo and Burnt Caramel. Both were mediocre. I still very much prefer my Simply Chocolate from DailyScoop. The others had flavors like Horlicks, Teh-tarik, Kopi-O ... beverages that were not really my favorites. So yeah, DailyScoop still gets my vote. Go try it!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HUH! wahahahahahaa omg...

cat

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No fair lah. Your DailyScoop only available near your place. Have to travel so 'far' to get.

I miss having Cold Stone. =P

Anyway I think the incident wasn't that bo liao lah - it's like sometimes you have the urge to tell people on the train / bus to give up their seats to those who need it more but play possum. Just that our culture somehow makes us suppress what we want to say, whereas in US they're like on the streets promoting freedom of speech. And Singapore shuts down blogs as and when needed (yet xiaxue's blog still continues to thrive).

Big difference, I guess. But I guess the African-American wanted to get his point across, since most whites still carry an air of racism in US.

And I agree with what he says too.

11:09 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

cat: Yeah, it's really omg.

touukarin: Travelling far for good food is always worth it lah, at least for Singaporeans. Yeah, I know, I think the Blacks are really nice to me when I was in the US. And oh, you agree with what he says? Ha ha, that flattery won't get you any free ice cream, though. :P

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flattery...? Truth ok. I seldom give compliments, but when I do, it's usually because it's a genuine compliment...




Since ya mentioned it... do I get a free ice-cream? =P

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home