Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Lights, Cameras and Oooh... A Wedding

The one thing I dislike about edging (Hmm, did I say edging? I really meant careering at lightning-speed) towards middle age is the influx of wedding invitations ambushed by friends and cousins. There are weddings that make you go "Awww." and wish for the magical moment of your own, there are others that make you cringe so bad and not want to touch the matrimony bliss with a ten-foot pole. Thankfully, the last two weddings I attended were more of the former, probably because I had my cohort of familiar friends whom I can catch up with. Food, wine, ambience and friends. What could possibly beat that?

Hilda's wedding was held at the Asian Civilization Musuem. It was a lovely affair and I totally adored the alfresco concept which exudes a more relaxed atmosphere, compared to the conventional Chinese Restaurant style which is thick in tension. I love the open air and nature. You hear laughter tinkling, wine glasses chinking, feel the breeze wafting through, hear the jazz music playing ... man, that is exactly how I visualize ... my funeral to be! No clanging cymbals, thank you very much. Shucks, I am totally off the tangent. From Weddings to Funeral, whaddayaknow.

Right, so I am currently flipping the Digital Life of the Straits Times and it hit me that the IT Show is going to be in Suntec City this Thursday, hailed as the exhibition of cheap Digital Cameras sales. I have been pondering upon getting my very own digital camera for the longest time. I am quite sick of borrowing cameras from my auntie and having my brother's camera dying on me after just three miserable shots. I know I should actually do some research on which cameras to purchase, but you people should also know I am one huge lazy ass. So! If you people have any advice to offer (credible ones, please!), I am all eyes. Plus, you might get more eye-candies on this blog leh.

Some choices I am considering:
The Panasonic Lumix DMC FX8


Sony Cybershot DSC-W30


Casio Exilim EX-Z60


Right, decisions, decisions. Bah. Or maybe I should just go down to the IT Show to trade in my Ipod Mini and get a Nano instead.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not canon? heh

i think nikon's pretty good...

anyway last time i used my friend's exilim the pic quality was quite bad leh compared to others of the same range & resolution leh. not sure if the exilim's pic quality has improved though. cos i tried it abt 2 yrs ago.

1:36 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

Canon? Also can. Any to recommend? Sleek, slim kinds preferably...

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

canon's ixus range? heh i think sony's designs are damn nice but a bit overpriced...

but i like canon.. has served me well for many years and so far no prbs =D

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depends on what usage you would want your camera to be, some things you would like to take note of are:

1. Size
- I presume most gals prefer something small and handy.

2. Cost
- Not sure what your budget is

3. Lens
- Megapixels are important but are more or less the same now around 6. Take note of the lens: Get a camera with lousy lens and no matter how many megapixels it has the photos will turn out to be crap.

4. Usability
- Go try out as many cameras as you can at the fair. Different people have different adaptations to functionality in the camera. I absolutely hate Olympus' menu functions. Sony is ok for me, though I like Canon the best. Very intuitive to use.

5. Cameras to avoid
- Sony Cybershot: quality not worth the price
- Casio: Like your friend said, the photo quality is bad coz their lens are crap.

6. Recommendations
- Nikon is for performance, though (I think) there are some designed for daily usage. Not sure liao, coz never keep in touch for quite a while
- Canon has good all round performance, although I feel the IXUS range is really all design. Mine is a Canon A75, but its range seems to be too bulky for most girls.
- Pansonic Lumix series has good lens, though I haven't had time to check out its menu functions. Reviews are good though.

My 2 cents rattled off from memory.

So do I get an ice-cream? =P

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) get something with optical image stabilizer. then you will never have to deal with fuzzy photos again! i think the lumix has OIS.

2) should also consider battery. propriety lithium battery lasts longer while your everyday AA or AAA batteries can be replaced easily.

3) brand names... yups i totally agree to avoid sony, paying for their ridiculously priced memory stick is just dumb and casio is erm... dont they make watches? nikon, canon are the ones to gun for. i would also consider panasonic and minolta.

4) i disagree that the IT fair is the place to get cheap digicam, i think retailers in SLS or i-cant-remember-where-cos-i've-been away-for-too-long are still the places to go.

PS. when are you getting married?

7:19 PM  
Blogger . said...

http://www.dpreview.com/ is the place to check out digital cameras.

Among the three options you are considering, I would go for the lumix. It is small, has good lens with decent optical zoom and the image stabiliser thingy.

7:22 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

Ooo. Thank you all you experts for your very insightful comments. I have mentally narrowed my options to Canon and Panasonic then. Perhaps I will go down tomorrow and see which booths have the prettiest babes before deciding. Ho ho.

and also..

Anonymous: Eh don't think I will be marrying anytime soon leh. You slowly wait la, allright?

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home