Monday, June 12, 2006

Playing Mother to Mum

A month ago, my mother decided to take up a job to kill her time. My mum is the kind of person who needs to have something to occupy her time constantly. Ever since she retired from her job, she would busy herself making everything from bah zhang to dumplings and making phone calls to me several times in the day. I was understandably pleased when she finally decided to take up the job.

However, the colleagues at her new job were mean to her. At first, I was in disbelief. How can middle-aged women act like juveniles? The age of bullying should have expired, shouldn't it?

Apparently not. The mean colleague locked my mum out of the office, rudely declined my mother's offering of baked goodies, refused to allocate work to my mum and made snide remarks when my mum surfed the web because she had nothing to do.

Mean Woman: Click, click, click. Whole day click click click.
Mum: ...
Mean Woman: Don't know what you clicking.
Mum: I don't have anything to do. Why don't you let me help?
Mean Woman: My work is my work. You want work, ask the boss give you.

Actually, I suggested to my mum, who was in tears when she called me earlier - Why don't you just freaking sit there and stare at her? Don't move. Don't click. Just. Stare. At. Her.

Siao ah! Computers don't use mouse click, then what? Use your head and bang the keyboard, is it? Is it?!

Fuck man. I have this overpowering urge within me to storm over to the office at Alexandra road and deliver the swiftest slap I can ever muster.

Anyway, the logical side of me surfaced and tried to rationalize how a person can ever be such a meanie. Since the mean bitch's job was so simple, she was afraid that by allocating my mum some part of her job, she is effectively jeopardizing her own job security.

Besides, mean bitch is in her late forties and not married. Her bullying ways just simply illustrate her immense insecurity with herself. She needs to exert her "strength" and hide her stupid insecurities by bullying others like my poor mum.

That is the deal with many meanies. They are basically insecure with themselves. I had this one experience where this girl was just plain mean to me for no rhyme or reason. Her boyfriend offered me some food and she went

Crazy Mean Girl: WHY DID YOU OFFER HER FOOD AND NOT ME?
Poor Clueless BF: Oh, here, have some.
Crazy Mean Girl: YOU OFFERED HER FIRST, SO I AM NOT TOUCHING.
Poor Clueless BF: ...

Mind you, she said all these in my full presence, head, body and toes. Although one might feel the inclination to stuff an entire plate of food into her nostrils, do always remember that you are having the upper-hand and the qualities that motivate her mean streak precisely. Just stand back and let the insecure bitch do all the drama.

Anyhoo, my mother tendered her resignation. I rather have her calling me ten thousand times a day than to be bullied at work.

Damn you, insecure bullying bitches!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually... such bullying is common everywhere. Just last week there was this ST Article on Tertiary bullies (JC, Poly) and how bullying has 'evolved' to an art form. So subtle that teachers can't really punish them nor comment. Something like what the mean woman said to your mum: there's nothing that you can really shoot her for, in a sense. Same for the crazy mean girl.

Anyway I was thinking your mum should have stayed on and piss the mean woman off. My experiences with 40+ year-old single women aren't many, but in general they're bitches, as well as victims of their menopause since it comes early for them.

Your mum can just reply with: "I whole day click better than someone whole day act busy and doing trivial stuffs any kid could do."

Anyway, that's life lah. Maybe your mum can try applying to work in libraries instead. Environment not as mean I think.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bullies like 'em should be tied up to a stick and then shot to death.

And yes, most of them are insecure. They simply do all that to make themselves fell 'powerful' in order to mask the fact that they are insecure.

May your mother get a job with a better working environment the next time round!

And I thought bullying was soooo below adult behaviour? ;)

2:33 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

Maybe I will retort: Cluck, cluck, cluck. Whole day clucking away. Don't know what you clucking.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brenda> I guess for some people if bullying gets the job done they'll still do it I suppose. Regardless of whether it's for self-satisfaction, hiding insecurities, or what-have-you. If they should be shot... I guess two-thirds of my JC class last time should be shot too. They were, and still are, major a**holes.

Jellybeano> That's so you! Mail Order for one Yeelin please. =P

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this dark streak innately in me to stand up for my friends or close ones who get bullied.

Not proud to say I've gotten a lot of flak from the 'peace-lovers', but can never ever suppress this righteousness behaviour in me totally.

6:34 PM  
Blogger musette said...

To think that I thought bullying was kinda exclusive to the younger generation.

Maybe someone should just give that colleague of your mummy a good shake-me-up, so that she'll know better than to be such a meanie.

What goes around comes around!

1:41 AM  
Blogger manniqueen said...

*clap clap clap clap*

GRRRRRL POWER! I like!!!! I want a daughter like you next time(because you're an animal loving, will-protect-mummy kinda girl)!!!

9:03 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

manniqueen: eh... i am also the eat-alot, full-of-complaints, grumbles-when-mum-asks-me-to-fetch-her-around kinda daughter.

Any child also will protect mother one mah! Aiyorr..

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home