Thursday, June 08, 2006

Judge a Book by its Cover

Last week, while waiting for Eugene who supremely overslept, I trawled the bookstore and impulsively bought myself a new novel.

I was attracted to the book for primarily superficial reasons. The cover was really pretty. I am a total sucker for aesthetics. I like my things to look good.



So, I reached out for the dainty-looking book and read the synopsis. Not bad, I thought. I could do with some reading while waiting for that sucker. Ha ha. I grabbed the book and headed for the cashier.

Anyway, I was reading the newspapers today when a particular Life! section caught my eye. Apparently, Zadie Smith just won the 2006 Orange Prize last night for the novel I bought for superficial reasons.

Talk about not judging a book by its cover.

The irony.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was also one of the short-listed books for the Man Booker Prize 2005. -ZH

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home