Thursday, April 20, 2006

Food, Glorious Food

My nice (I must bold this because he reads and feedbacks on my blog entries :P) host in Berkeley has suggested dining at this particular restaurant, Chez Panisse, one month earlier. Apparently, since it was supposedly reputed to be one of the best dining places in California, reservations have to be done weeks in advanced.

Well, I must say it is quite an experience although I am no fine dining connoisseur. The menu, described by my host, was seemingly complicated, comprising of the following:

Fried Atlantic skate salad with cardoons, fennel, and capers
Chino Ranch artichoke and green pea risotto
Grilled Wolfe Ranch quail with roasted turnips, asparagus, and Cannard Farm chard
Meyer lemon ice cream crêpes

Lookie, half the menu comprised of ingredients I haven't heard of. That can't be a good sign, can it? Ha ha.



Nevertheless, the food was not bad. Perhaps my taste buds have not been attuned to ascertaining the finnese of fine dining culinary.

Despite my insistence on paying for the meal, my host politely refused. Hence, I decided to roll up my sleeves today and display my rare culinary abilities (if any).











Right, turns out that the steamed egg custard was rather tasteless. Heh. So, since I ain't confident of how my food taste like, I always try to compensate by making my food look better with garnishing.

Very crafty, I know. Heh.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously it's not easy to ensure good taste while making steamed egg. The steamed egg at Science Canteen Chinese Food stall is always tasteless.

Usually to make it have some taste I dump in little bit of soya sauce and pepper to taste.

But I gotta admit: your food really looks good. Packaging is essential, as Martin Yan always emphasizes. 又好看又好吃. =P

2:38 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

wahahha eh toukarin, your comments are always very kind leh. You looking for a treat from me right! :P

3:06 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

thank u thank u!

1:29 AM  
Blogger . said...

Hmm, why dont u tell us what was the bill on the Chez Panisse dinner?

3:05 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

hmm? What's the bill? I'm not sure leh. Why?

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home