Thursday, April 06, 2006

Students' Daze

Life as a student is filled with frantic deadlines. I remembered de-bugging my program right up to the last millisecond of which the deadline could allow with kling, helping my brother cut up and color stuff maniacally when he was an architectural student or rushing to print and bind reports just minutes before the time is up. Life was quite exciting, I might say.

These days, the tension is high as the Final Year Project deadline drew close and for the past days, the final year students have been pouring an avalanche of emails into my inbox for my vetting. The final day was relatively peaceful.. or so I thought... until the last hour where they started to rush in with alarm bells ringing.

There were re-printing to be done, project forms that were forgotten, page numbers misalignment and whatsnot. Suddenly, I felt my adrenaline rushing again, except this time, I have three projects to see to. I felt like a super mother hen, clucking words of comfort to ensure them not to worry, helping them print and do last-minute reading. Gosh.

Just minutes before the deadline, I ran up six stories worth of steps and in between pants and breathlessness, assisted one student in adding additional pages into her already-binded project. You know, the ring-binds, where u have like 20 holes punched in them and you have to tactically removed the plastic flexible ring out of each hole one by one. Then you add the additional papers before cautiously negotiating them through those darned apertures. The trick is to remain calm and focus on the task, so I was done with manually rebinding one project in a few minutes.

(Easy for me to say lah. Not my project mah. Of course I'm calm. Ha ha ha. )

Meanwhile, my student was panicking and fumbling with her other report.

Her: Help me!!!! HELP!!!! *Throws her hands in exasperation*
Me: Right, right. Be calm.
Her: ARGH!
Me: Don't panick!

I managed to thread the dreaded rings in another few minutes and was ready to make a run for the office.

Her: WAIT!
Me: What?
Her: Hang on.
Me: What?!
Her: Oh, this is my religion and I am going to do a very religious thing.
Me: ...

She adorably took out a portrait of her religion's higher being and placed it on top of her reports while mumbling some sacred verses (I presume). Stunned at the seemingly paradoxical illustration of subjective religion and logical, concrete science, I broke into a smile.

"I hope it helps," I quipped.

"Of course! He's good." she chirped cheerfully.

And there ends my reign of my cluckity-cluck. Until the next semester starts...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa you are a damn good tutor leh. if i do fyp i will hope to be under you hahaah

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope I won't see myself rushing like mad next semester...

Anyway what religion was that...? Doesn't sound like any religion that is common in Singapore... Shintoism?

4:12 PM  
Blogger manniqueen said...

hey!

i'm gonna work at nus soon too. maybe can meet up some time!

:)

12:38 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

woah! really! what are you gonna work as? Which faculty! Cool. I am sick of da-baoing food up to my lab, really.

12:49 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

yq: haha, okay lor. Can. Do IS project k.

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

panic.
/tob

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh, just in case i dont get to speak to you before u jet over to sunny cali- BRING SOME PRESENTS OVER FROM SINGAPORE HOR!

(psst... bday's coming soon leh! :p)

/tob

9:44 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

what present you want ah? cans of abalone ah?

9:32 AM  
Blogger manniqueen said...

will be at science/medicine faculty taking care of the lab animals!

see ya in may!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home