Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thursday Morning

It is strange how technology facilitates social bonding and communication, overcoming geographical barriers on one hand, but yet on the other, impels people to retreat into their own private spaces, reclused and unacknowledging of the others within the vicinity.

Anyway, being a victim of the latter, I was comfortably plugged in my world of music and reading my papers in the bask of warm sunshine at the bus stop, oblivious to my fellow passengers. Suddenly, I felt someone tapping my shoulders. I looked up and saw a bent old man with pepper-gray hair, his eyes were smiling kindly at me.

Me: Yes?
Old man: The bus is coming.
Me: Oh, oh.
Old man: I'm afraid you can't hear it coming, with your music.
Me: Oh yeah. Thanks.

Why the old man would think I might be able to miss the entire 10-feet bus rumbling to the bus stop is beyond me. I did observe a pair of hearing aids framing his wrinkled ears and perhaps, that was a genuine fear he faces everyday - not being able to hear the bus. Still, I am thankful that someone care enough to extend beyond my hermitic technology of music to express is concern.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the old man is so sweet! :)

i have a love-hate relationship with old people. hurhur.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh very nice ah the old man.

cat

11:38 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

heh, yeah I think it makes me feel as though there is still a sort of compassion or connection amidst the increasingly withdrawn and self-centered city population.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home