Thursday, April 26, 2007

Random Ramblings of a Very Bored Invigilator

It is such a bore invigilating examinations. Yawn.

I can't believe Ivan actually allocated two and a half hours for an open-book examination. I managed to quickly answer the questions in less than half an hour because firstly, it is open-book and secondly, many of the questions are actually quite straightforward. If any students failed the examinations, I will go and buy 4D.

There is nothing much to do when the students are concentrating on the examinations except to make small talk. Oh, I mean, small whisperings.

As usual, Ivan was questioning me about my career path amidst the whispers. Unlike my supervisor who is trying to steer me into an academic career, Ivan is open to industry, albeit one that is seemingly government-oriented and political. Afterall, he was a NMP last year, so it is not at all surprising.

Anyway, it is strange that when you are a person of high authority, you will automatically become a good friend to everybody. As I mentioned my brief meeting with Mr Boon Swan Foo yesterday..

Me: Oh, I met up with Mr Boon Swan something yesterday...

(Okay shh, I didn't mean to be disrespectful but I really have no idea who he was prior to the meeting. He is apparently sitting on the board of A*star and SCS. But er yeah, whatever. :P)

Ivan: Who?
Me: Mr Boon Swan... er.. Foong?
Ivan: Oh, Mr Boon Swan Foo!
Me: Er.. right.
Ivan: Oh, he's my friend!
Me: Er.. right.
Ivan: In fact, I am on very good terms with him.

I think this is the third time someone mentioned Mr Boon Swan Foo is a good friend of somebody or himself, in the short period of time I even mentioned his name. Well, I wonder what it means again to be lonely at the top? Doesn't seem to be the case, does it? Everybody does want to be your friend.

Ah well, back to invigilation. Zzz.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know about politics... they say they're lonely at the top because they can no longer discern who's a true friend or not.

When you're at the top, nearly everyone (even genuine friends) will work their way to gain favour from you in some way.

Human nature at work I feel.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home