Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Goodbye Lina



Herlina, or Lina, as we affectionately address her, came into our lives abruptly because our previous maid had committed illegal deeds and was sent back. After sending the latter to the airport, I fetched my mum to the agency where she had to pick a domestic worker on an ad-hoc basis. Accordingly, these are the workers who are sent back to the agency because of their inept capabilities.

We were pleasantly surprised that Lina was none of that. She has arrived at our home, unable to speak English nor cook. Now, with her quick wit and earnest demeanor, she is leaving for home with an extremely good grasp of English (that sometimes even beats my mum!), an ability to whip up various delicacies and even the skill to make jewellery. In fact, she enjoyed making jewellery so much that I bought her a personal set of tools and beads for her birthday last year so she could bring them back and set up a business of her own. Her collection of verbal English vocabulary is astonishing, a proof of how television can actually improve your linguistics. Hee. How proud I am of her.

She has also worked her way up to winning Mister Toto's affections. As you all know, the phrase '狗眼看人低' actually applies to Toto. Toto, that little bastard, somehow felt that Lina's orders wasn't worth listening and wouldn't fetch the ball if she threw it. But now, it is a different ball game altogether. He will cosy up to her to greet her in the morning, looks for her in the evening for his dinner and fetches the ball if she asked him too.

We're pals, ya know!


Lina, besides being blessed with the uncanny ability to predict my food cravings and the prowess the clear the major chaos in my room before I leave for work each day, is also a great person to gossip and talk to. I am sure going to miss the Sunday afternoons with her and Toto, exploring Kent Ridge and Labrador Park, laughing at Toto's antics.

She will be leaving for her home in a few hours. Despite our reluctance to let her go home for good, I know it is essential for her to seek her own happiness and establish her own family. Oh, the dilemma.

I want to wish her all the best and all the happiness that she can find. I will miss her and I know she will miss us too. I hope the truckloads of photos that I have printed for her will prove useful.

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

(Now, if only someone can tell me how to dissolve that great big lump in my throat.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*pat pat*

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aiyoh i read the entry too late!! shit.. i wanna wish lina all the best in her future too, and thanks for loving heidi so much... any way tt u all will keep in contact with her? next time when she calls, let her noe i said hello, and all the very best. :)

5:06 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

yep catherine, i will. She just called and said that she made it home safely after like 12 hour journey to her kampung. Her parents and her are both very happy with her loot she brought back from Singapore. :)

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww..sorry was in india when this happened. Hope u are feeling better. Let me know about the necklace k?

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home