Monday, September 11, 2006

Happy Birthday Lina! & Flying Escargot

Lina, our domestic helper, is one special person. Not only has she the uncanny ability to comprehend and predict each family member's quirky habits, she is also blessed with quick wit and sharp initiative. Another special trait of hers include sharing her birthday with one of world's tragic incidents - September 11th.

Yesterday, my mum and I took her out to celebrate her birthday. After browsing around Bugis Junction, we settled upon Ma Masion, a restaurant that serves up a fusion of Japanese and Western Cuisine. The queue comprised mainly of Japanese customers, probably an indication of how authentic the food is.

After queuing for a good 20 minutes, we were finally shown our seats.

Here are shots of Mumsy and Lina waiting for their food.




I don't know what they are laughing at. Maybe I looked funny.

Our meal started with a cheesy potato appetizer. The perfect solution to my melted cheese craving for the night.


Next, the waitress presented our plate of escargots before setting them on fire.



Notice how my mother looked mildly distressed to witness her escargots going into flames. Lina, on the other hand, looked coolly amused.

Like the ever-efficient cook of the house, Lina could not help but keep an eye to ensure the dish isn't overcooked, even when posing for photos. Hee.


Anyway, I offered kindly to pry the little bits of flesh from the shells, using the typical sort of pincer and a dented fork


The powerful spring of the stupid tool took me by surprise when I released it accidentally. The victimized escargot shot and riccocheted off the walls somewhere. Lina dissolved into teary laughing hysterics while my mother pretended I was not her daughter.

After ensuring I did not injure any fellow customers with the wayward escargot, I found it strangely nestled under my chair. Let's hope nobody notice eh?

Since the flesh was still inside the shell, my mother asked me to pick it up and pry anyway. Ho ho. I became an expert in maneuvering the damn pincers. No more flying escargots.

The main courses arrived soon after.

Lina's chicken steak



Mum and her mouth-watering Chili Cod Roe Spaghetti


More cheesy satisfaction - Au Gratin with Prawns and Scallop


All in all, it was an awesome dinner. I'll give it a 7.5/10. Thumbs up!

Here is a shot of the birthday girl.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh. I can't remember what I had there last time, but the Salmon + Pasta dishes were good.

I shall remember to look out for Flying Escargots when I'm there next time. Hee. =P

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muahahahahaha... the escargot!

Nevermind, that means you have potential to be Vivian in Pretty Woman.

Hahahahaha... piang eh.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah the dishes look damn good can?! can?! exp anot.......

2:55 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

cat: Eh... its' okay. Not too ex. My mum's spaghetti cost about $16. My Au Gratin about $14. Escargots about $10.. Okay lah, affordable restaurant pricing. Citibank cards got 10% discount.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i went last night after i saw your escagots.. they were nice. BTW.. monday night is ladies night and you (ladies) get 20% off.

The hamburger is said to to be the dish to try and i wasn't disappointed!!

Quite affordable - swensen's type of prices.. but the food is way better!

12:18 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

Yeah the food is way better than Swensen's! Oh shucks, monday is ladies night?! Mmm. okay I know where to go for dinner on monday then... I heard the lunch specials are a good deal too.

Shhh. Let that be our secret before everybody storms the outlet. Hahaha.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home