Sunday, October 21, 2007

Bon Appetit!

It was the weekend again after a particularly gruelling work week.

I started the weekend with the most delightful dinner with my family at Les Amis, the restaurant with the dubious honor of being the most expensive one in Singapore. In case you think that we are opulent sufficiently to splurge on expensive meals, let me just clarify that the meal was arranged by my dad in his effort to show support to his boss, Desmond Lim, who runs the group of Les Amis as a hobby.

Momsy and Daddy


Desmond doesn't believe in giving discounts because he feels it cheapens the concept of fine-dining. Instead, he plied us with plenty of champagne and wine. Sheesh, that considering my brother was driving, my dad was driving and so was I!

Charlotte and Me


Charlotte and My Bro


Awaiting the arrival of Gugu and Uncle


Since we are sort of the privileged guests of Desmond, he arranged for us to have the Chef's Room where we could peek at the busy kitchen scene. If you want to, you can stick your face on the glass and make funny faces even.


The Lai Family




My Dad and Gugu sharing a joke.


So, while waiting for the menu to commence, our palates were teased with some amuse-bouche. With each serving, the waiter will go on a lengthy description of the dish. I just don't quite remember what he said. Heh. Pardon my own descriptions, yeah?

Toast with fishy thingy


Fried mushroom on eggplanty mush


This Malay dude, whose name I have unfortunately forgotten, is a very pleasant and humorous waiter and it was an utmost pleasure to be served. He has served my mum and I previously when we went to Les Amis for lunch.


He went around with a delectable serving of bread, from tomato, onion to sourdough. Mmm. I love the aroma of fresh bakes.

Wah


While waiting for our food to be served, Charlotte showed me her gift of the newest iPod which was totally awesome. It was like, WOW.


The graphical user interface was completely mind-blowing. I felt like personality in Minority Report, doing the swishing and swashing of album art. Very pretty! I likey.


This was when I told my brother,"You realize if you and I skip this dinner and asked Daddy for the cost, we could actually buy one for ourselves you know?"

Sigh.

Okay, our course started proper. First up: Fillo Cone with Avocado Cream and Ikura


Desmond, the ever generous host, provided us with a complimentary bottle of red wine. Randy, our waiter, educating us on the history of the wine.


Second course of the meal: Fresh Tsraskaya Oyster in a chilled tomato coulis


The oyster was simply succulent and earned the earnest compliments of my Gugu, who was a pretty good cook herself. In fact, she raved about the oyster so much, the waiter pleasantly surprised us with another round of oysters on the house. How spoilt we were, huh?

Gugu looking extremely satisfied with her 2nd round of oysters...


Fine Shellfish Ravioli and Black Trumpet Mushroom in Lobster Bisque


Just as we thought we are already quite filled up, the soup arrived.

Oxtail consomme, quail egg, truffle and leek ravioli


And my favorite meat in the world - beef.

Char-grilled Australian Striploin, Japanese Corn and truffled mashed potato


Soon, our generous host, Desmond, paid us a visit.


This one very nice ah.


Desserts!!!


That was known as the Grand Marnier Parfait in a chocolate cone served with citrus fruit salad.

Happy girls with their desserts.




Desmond pampered us with another bottle of complimentary dessert wine to go with our desserts. Ooooomph...


Even when I thought I was all stuffed up, I couldn't resist the temptation of after-dinner confectionary that was served with coffee/tea.

From the right, you have a canele, a macaroon and a jelly thingy.


The macaroon is the best I have ever tasted. The ganache coated in-between was coyingly melting on my tongue. As my Gugu raved about the canele, I went on about the macaroons, and again, our attentive waiter called Timothy presented me with a dish of 4 more macaroons.


This must be one of the best dining experience I had in my life.

Happy souls after a very satisfactory dinner...




BURP.

What's more, after my dinner, my colleague Kenneth was thoughtful enough to help add to my weight by delivering a box of Krispy Kreme. Man, after all that wining and dining, I now have SIX donuts to devour. *pats tummy*


The degustation experience does not stop here. Saturday was the day where Felix would celebrate his hometown's festival of Ocktoberfest. I was requested to be their chaffeur to bring them around with their groceries.

Buy, buy, buy!


We set into cooking after all the shopping, at Felix's miniscule service apartment.

Cooking up a storm, we were!


Presenting the chefs at work...

Yours Truly


David and Felix


Some fruit of our labor...


The mess that is Felix's kitchen.


Felix flipping hamburgers.


By 6am, we were lugging our foodstuff to the poolside.






We can start our very own cookshow!




Feeling very ravenous.


The kids from GIC


My dinner plate... Mm-hmm!


The guests arrived.




Felix being all arrogant, playing the fishing game...


The yayapapya German



We adjourned upstairs for desserts, which comprised of tubs of ice cream, a delectable chocolate cake, cream puffs and loads of jelly.


Ooo, babes for dessert, anyone?


Man, I'm sooooo putting on weight.

Burp.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, so how much did the restaurant bill come up to?

Looks like a super-posh place to have fine dining...

6:50 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

ehhh 2.3K for 7 of us...

12:45 PM  
Blogger eha said...

i have never tried fine dining before but that bill alone is more than a month of my pay -_-"

oh gosh.

anyway, wow, looks yummy the steak. *slurps*

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home