Saturday, August 18, 2007

Hiccoughs and Burps

I have been indulging too much in non-Chinese food after my deprivation during my trip in China. On Wednesday, I had a very satisfying sushi lunch with Ruiling, followed by gelato at my old haunt, Haato at Ridgewood. I haven't really hung out there since I moved in April.

Dinner was an impromptu one at Il Lido in Sentosa , where the food is much, much better (and less pricier) than at The Cliff where I have dined previously.


The service was superb and our server, David, provided delightful humor. Our appetizers included their special of the day: a lobster cocktail with peaches that was absolutely tasty; and a 24 month aged parma ham, rock melon and port wine sauce which I believed JW ordered because I commented I couldn't imagine eating something that is seemingly expired.



I adored my main entree of milk-fat tenderloin veal, with a side dish of foie gras on truffles. It was also a chef special for that day.

For desserts, my creme brulee, comprising of coffee, vanilla and pistacchio flavors were one of the best puddings I have ever tasted. JW's molten lava dark chocolate cake seemed quite palatable as well. In all, the dining experience deserved an all-worthy thumbs-up!

Thursday marks the celebration of my beloved Jane's birthday. She has turned 27, like I am. We were all sneakily hiding away at Wine Bos, in wait of the Queen's arrival.

June tries on the head gear I bought for the Birthday Queen.


The ladies feast and drink while waiting for Her Majesty's arrival.




June was the baker of the day, decorating the cake she baked 2 nights before, "until 2 am, you know", as she reiterated.


Behold! Her Masterpiece!


I must say the candles and strawberries Sandy bought did a good job of beautifying the little cake. :P


There were several false alarms as people gave false information regarding the arrival of the birthday girl. I made a few trips to and fro from the kitchen, in order to tell June to "Eh Light the candles!", "No, don't light the candles!", etc. Gees. 'Tis a tricky situation as we all tried to determine her actual arrival time.

Pretty Deco by Ruiling and Rachel


Besides false alarms, we engaged ourselves munching moony cakes...


..posing for silly shots...


..and the birthday girl arrives!


Somehow, despite the panic, June still manages to convince me to take a picture of her with the pretty confectionary masterpiece.




The birthday girl dons the crown! All hail!


Apparently, she said she was so touched she teared... Aw.










The Queen and her Jester!


Jane finds her hidden birthday gift, which wasn't really well-hidden anyway. Yawn.


Then, as usual, the game proceed. Rachel was a little crazier than usual, spouting her RA nonsense which I should refrain from repeating on this family-friendly blog.


My camera died soon after, so I shall wait for Jane to upload her versions, which included very discriminating photos I can't wait to see, as well as videos of her speaking like Donald Duck after sucking in helium from balloons. An ang moh kept coming over to our table and cajoling the Birthday Girl to suck in helium for to acheive the cartoonish voice and she gamely did so.

Keep your eyes on this space to watch for newer pictures and videos!

Anyway, my alcoholic detoxification attempt failed tonight as I went with Jervais to Wild Oats at Mount Emily to display support for his friend who was having a temporary bartending stint. I was there previously with Eugene and Minghua and that place gave a sort of eerie creep. Since we were there earlier tonight, I guess the ambience was kinda friendlier (despite it being the 7th month Hungry Ghost Festival), and the bossa nova tunes they played are more suitable for my listening. Oh, oh, and their specialty cocktail of Creme de Cacao, Kahlua and whatsnot.. called Hill Side was yummy. Slurp!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home