Sunday, April 08, 2007

Insomnia

I have been having sleepless nights for over a week. Ugh. This is bad, considering the sloth that I am, never really having difficultiies falling into a deep snooze. All the known remedies that used to work such as reading my long, boring papers, wine and tiring myself out with sports don't seem to work now. I feel tired, but I can't sleep. Why?

Yesterday afternoon, Andy came down to my new place to whack some balls with me. In the midst of playing, the sun disappeared and dark clouds gathered. Before we knew it, we were playing in a drizzle. We were perservering as the drizzle started to strengthen. Then, thunder boom from afar. We're defying the weather, he said.

Suddenly, the lightning struck nearer.

So, we stopped and ran to the nearby stairways. Dejavu.

I think you are jinxed, Andy said. "I have played lots of afternoons in Singapore and this is the first time it rains!" I disagreed. The last time I remembered playing in the afternoon, it started to pour as well. In fact, we played till it poured rains and dogs, till the balls were so soaked they couldn't even bounce properly. Why is the memory so vivid, I wonder?

Perhaps sometimes, when events occur smoothly, we take it for granted. Times of adversity do seem more salient. I might have played in afternoons when it was sunny and bright, but it just seem like the norm, the default, and thus less engaging cognitively. Nevertheless, I did had fun in the rain, so perhaps it was an alternative conjecture.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When all methods to try getting to sleep fails, you can try hitting your head against the bedboard (well ok I tried that but it only half-worked last time and I don't really recommend it). Try exercising past your limit - the physical exhaustion would usually help in getting you to sleep.

Anyway, you're not jinxed lah. Yesterday it was so sunny when I started tennis and it turned dark and started raining (ironically after my friend put on his sunblock). It's just the weather trying to be funny yesterday.

Or like I said before, most likely someone up there is drooling upon seeing a hot babe. =)

PS. Yeah I know it sounds [insert-some-adjective-here] but at least I'm consistent right? =P

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to add: Hope you'll be able to sleep soundly and peacefully soon!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Luna said...

You are not jinxed.. I know why.. yesterday we had trekking and the weather was so unusually hot. Suria brother was keep lying down in every puddles we saw. Then it rain and wash away our heat, thirst and sweat.. yeah!!! I think someone up there hear our silent prayer.. haha..

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

soju always puts me to sleep. a small bottle is more then enough to knock me out cold. hee!

sometimes it's hard to sleep when we have a lot on our minds. the body is tired but the brain just keeps turning and turning. must learn to let go and everything will be just fine :)

12:19 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

luna: the next time I wanna do something that requires the sun, I better check with you to ensure you all haven't asked for some rain!

joy: soju eh? Hmm, I am uncomfortable with substance reliance. But my insomnia is getting much better already, thanks! :)

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home