Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Happy New Year, Y'all!

Ah, the time of the year has arrived once again. A time for feasting-till-you-burst, gambling, answering rheoterical or redundant questions, watching cheesy reruns on television, plastering bright plastic smiles till faces hurt, or well, simply merry-making.

Ever since my grandfather moved in with us, our reunion dinner has been a quiet affair within our own family. As usual, the dinner is a simple steamboat with lo hei as appetizer.

Here is my dear bro, preparing the yu sheng.


Look who's lurking and stalking our steamboat dinner?


My Dad is an advocate of red wine and so aptly, for the occasion, he opened a bottle. However, red wine does not exactly go well with yu sheng, ya know.


After a few glasses, I headed down to my neighbor's for a short gathering with some of the tennis mates I haven't met for a long time. After consumption of more alcohol, it was really quite a bad idea to start the mahjong game at my place. I think the rest of the mahjong kakis can certify that I looked kinda stoned at the game. It is a wonder I only lost 3 buckeroos.

The first day of the Chinese New Year was spent entertaining relatives. Questions range from "What are you working as now ah?" to "Why are you so tanned?" (How I know?!). They inquire the same old questions every year! I should really take a video of relatives asking me the questions, then replay to them each Chinese New Year. Like look here, can be more creative a not? Ask something different lah! Either that, I will compile a list of answers to potential questions, print a few copies and distribute amongst the relatives.

Well, the good thing about staying home for the new year is that I can always hide in the comfort of my room if I don't really want to entertain the relatives. Additionally, we can watch pretty much whatever we wanted to because it is OUR TELEVISION. That explains why DVDs of the '24' series is being played continuously, even right now. My brother and Dad is totally hooked onto it. The visitors, too! Hmm.

New Year Goodies!


My Gugu gossips over red wine.


As the evening approaches, we dressed up in our new clothes to visit my maternal grandmother's place.


Food, food, food!


Well, I must say I am pretty well-fed for now. Burp. :)

新年快乐哦!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. My friends and I have come to a conclusion that distributing flyers containing FAQs is the best way to get pesky relatives off your back with regards to the 'standard' questions they ask every year. Otherwise known as cleverly disguised gossip topics.

You can also do mp3 recordings, but I doubt they'll listen, so printed media is the best way. Hee.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Priscilla said...

happy new year!

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yr red new year dress looks very nice..

10:44 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

toukarin: next time you prepare and pass some to me yah?

priscilla: gong xi fa cai to you too.

anon: gracias!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home