Sunday, January 07, 2007

Whoosh! And the day is gone...

This afternoon, Sandy and I went for the talk 'The Dark Side of Asian Cinema' by Francis Ng at the National Library. Although I emailed Sandy about it, skeptical her was in denial that Francis Ng could ever come to Singapore for a talk and was puzzled over why I could invite her to an academic seminar. When she realized it was the Hong Kong actor Francis Ng, she hurriedly registered as well.

Alas. It must have been too late because I was one of the few early birds who caught the approval worm. Thankfully, the notification from NLB allowed me to bring in another person for the talk.

We were rather punctual for the talk but there were long queues of people lining up to enter. Fortunately, clutching on to the email, we were entitled to priority entries.

Basically, Francis Ng was rather entertaining except I had a hard time deciphering what he was talking about in his heavily Cantonese-accented Mandarin. In the end, I gave up and decided to explored the functions of my camera instead.




The talk was held at the POD, the top level of the library which has restricted access. Its view was rather fantastic, reminding me of an observatory deck.




Anyway, thanks to Shanni, I had a mad rush home to make it in time for the hash (much thanks to Kaiser and his owner). It was the first dog hash I ever attended and I must say, like the Bukit Timah experience, it was like chionging sua. Up the muddy little hills, down the knee-deep drain waters, bashing through branches and whatsnot. Each time I fell down the muddy grounds, each time I get cut by passing branches, I wondered - Why am I doing this??? But strangely, after the endorphins from the run sunk in, I would go - Now, that's kinda fun!

Warped, isn't it?

Kaiser looking all gay (as in Happy *ahem*).


I think it was the birthdays of Princess and Duchness, the huskies. There were doggy goodie packs given out, and party hats too. In fact, there was even a yummish doggy birthday cake. Pretty cool, huh.




After the hash, we adjourned to a rather quaint place, hidden at the depths of Science Park II. It is called Blooie's or something. Due to some bad influence, we had alcohol again. There goes my alcohol-free week.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh...i thought i saw a deck of cards while rummaging through your bag for the camera. Alcohol free week? Hmm... ;)

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what bad influence??

tsk tsk tsk..

sigh..

1:03 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

eh bad influence = k != s

so there is no need to sigh... =D

2:18 PM  
Blogger eha said...

i wanted to register for it when i saw the ad in TODAY but work got the better of me. sigh. by the time i remembered, it was evening time. i want to see francis ng!!

damnit.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

you used to go by the name, autumn, right? I kinda went all nostalgic for a second when I stumbled upon that greens flash site hosted at lazyjuice. Then I recalled the searchsg community years ago.. you and catherine are also pretty good friends too if memory did not fail me.. =p

Was just randomly surfing the NUS SoC IS dept staff site, and I saw your portfolio. sorry for not introducing myself oops, I'm an IS major in my final year.

well, i guess its quite cool to realize that someone whose blog was my regular read years ago, is actually doing a PhD in the same school as I am. what a small world we live in!

cheers. =)

11:36 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

coolness. I have a vague memory of a reader by the name of river. HAHA. who is your supervisor? How on earth did you trace this blog from the staff web site! mmm. Say hi next time you see me around in school :)

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the train of thought went like this, i went to catherine's blog to look for a possible new link, after noticing the entries dating back to 2004 on your old site. just a tiny bit of detective work. =) As to why on earth I'm at the staff site in the 1st place, I was prancing around dr. sharon tan's site becaue I'm thinking of taking her module, then i danced to your site. haha.

i'm working with dr. teo h.h. and mr oh lih bin, a phd candidate.

you seen rather holed up in labs doing research, is there any real chance of you appearing outside? hahaha. Not at the italian food stall i guess.

but I'm a lab rat myself, although my work's more of churning papers.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home