Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Sharing Song Shenanigans

I am home, working my tired-ass off, to meet a sudden deadline.

The good thing about working from home is I get to blast music from my stereo. Today's playlist included the soundtrack from Curious George by Jack Johnson. Probably written for kids, the songs were very pleasant to listen to, and endorses very kid-friendly advices.

However, on listening to them carefully (something that occurs when my mind goes into spurious mode when working), I realize the lyrics are quite flawed. For instance, in The Sharing Song,

"It's always more fun
To share with everyone
It's always more fun
To share with everyone
"

Mmm, I don't think sharing is always more fun. Hello, I don't supposed I want to ever share my husband. I don't think it is more fun, thank you very much.

Oh, oh. Then you have this in the "Broken" song:

"without you i was broken
but id rather be broke-down with you by my side"

Waitaminute. Do I sense circular reasoning here? Without you = I was broken. So if you were by my side, how can I still be broke-down? You mean broke-down and broken different ah?

Wah sheesh. I think working makes me uber-sensitive to my environment. To the utterly useless aspects observations of the environment, that is.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I tend to be critical over song lyrics as well, because most of them don't make sense.

I think those lyric writers love inserting those extra words either to make the entire sentence more 'in tune' with the song's melody or for the sake of making them rhyme. :P

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I prefer chinese songs in general (though I still listen to Jap and Korean). The wonders of the chinese language somehow gives you much clearer meanings in certain situations.

Though of course, there are meaningless chinese songs as well.

I guess Brenda is quite right about the insertion of words for rhyming purposes, it's actually quite common practice too.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:54 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

Eh i think some Chinese songs don't make sense either.

*Thinks Guan1 Huai2 Fang1 Shi4*

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home