Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Lunch Time Enlightenment

Blah, blah, blah....

E: Men separates Lust from Love.
Me: Gee.
E: They want to have a virtuous, principled wife waiting at home...
E: ..but yet they want to have their fun.
Me: Right. So you mean, you will do it even though it will hurt the virtuous principled wife of yours?
E: She wouldn't know, would she?
Me: What if she knows?
E: Ah, that's the risk men take. And that's the thrill.
Me: Very thrilling, meh? I won't do anything to hurt someone I love.
E: Well, it's the heat of the moment.
Me: That's kinda lame.
E: If you can accept that lust and love are separate, then it's fine.

Me: So, if you have girls falling over your feet, you will do that?
E: Mmm. I'm the one-girl-at-a-time sort of person.
Me: Girls have few guys chasing them at any one time too. They don't do that.
E: Well, you can if you want to.
Me: Why would I want to?
E: If guys are doing it, girls can do it too.

I am sure I can do that, too. I am sure some girls twirl men around their little fingers. But I "think" I have sufficient rationality to take a step back and go "What is the fucking point?"

I see ex-lovers spiting each other on Friendsters with updated photographs of new spouses. They updated profiles one after the other, as if to evidence the illusion of a better life without each other. Doesn't spite just display the fact that you are affected? Why do something just because someone else is doing it? If you don't agree with the principles, don't do it.

As the saying goes, the opposite of love is indifference.

Remember. Take a step back, breathe, and think "What's the fucking point?".

6 Comments:

Blogger candii said...

I like the Friendster part - how we've changed our communication channels to spite at our ex. Previously, we only need to block our ex's number. Now, we have to block their MSN, Yahoo and practically all sorts of IM interfaces available besides phone number. On the other hand, others do not block their ex so as to show their current better lives via the IM nicks. Oh well, the world of convergence!

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lust and Love are 2 different entities, but of course there is overlapping just like any normal venn diagram. Most women by nature are in the overlapping category: they can only have sex with the man they love.

I have to admit that psychological studies have proven that most men can have sex with many women but still insist they love only one, because their base instinct is to procreate - but I would disagree with Mr E that just because of that age-old primal instinct, girls should accept that as 'fine' by accepting that lust and love are seperate for men.

We're not singled-cell organisms, but evolved humans with intelligence and have the knowledge of what love, lust, culture, environments, etc. are.

As far as my observation goes, the statement "Mmm. I'm the one-girl-at-a-time sort of person" is a dead giveaway that "yes, I can love one girl at a time", without stating whether he can lust after several girls at one time. As no statement is given, one cannot accuse him for lusting after many girls later since nothing was stated. (No hard feelings to Mr E though - just my point of view)

Then again, most people don't step back, so thinking about "what is the fucking point" is too far for them. Should make them practice taking a step back first instead of being weak and submissive to their innate desires of current thrills and excitement, and/or using them as excuses for their behaviour, such as "the heat of the moment".

Unless of course, you're myopic or just prefer the fun of a thrilling lifestyle.

PS. Yes, this post sounds kinda pissed. Which is a correct reflection of my current thoughts, btw.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why relationships are very complicated things. :/

And well, yes. Love and lust are two completely differeny entities altogether. A relationship works when it's 100% love, but collapses when it's 100% lust.

However, most relationships are in between, which makes things even more complicated.

Oops, I'm babbling.

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so angsty.
heat of the moment means sometimes can overwhelm u mah.
not that i will do it la.

u shld watch more desperate housewives for a more balanced perspective :P

otter

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't deny the angsty part, I would use back the same argument as you have: that's my perspective.

Of course there are cases whereby it can become overwhelming - same analogy as how one would have safety precautions during involvment of extreme sports? Or like how one would resist the tempation of young pretty girls when he's married.

To me, it's not an excuse to give in to such "heat of the moment" situations just because one has little or no self-control. At least for this case. I'm pretty sure the main audience of this blog are not 17 year-old kids.

And seriously, I didn't mention anything about anybody doing anything. =)

And no, I won't take the advice of watching such sitcoms either. How about reading proper facts and articles such as this one?

5:13 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

Interesting.. interesting.. to hear everyone's perspectives.

I believe the world is made up of many many different types of people. As long as the one that you are looking for share your same perspectives, who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

They are entitled to their own opinions lah. I'm open to that fact.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home