Monday, May 22, 2006

Monday Blues Part Two

I have been contemplating on enrolling in the Jazz Piano Course at Yamaha for some time since I have been listening to loads of Bossa Nova recently. I could comfortably qualify for its requirements of a minimum of ABRSM Performance Grade 3 or its equivalent, and the presence of the under-utilized piano at home provide further motivations.

After a very draggy and inefficient email exchange with the person-in-charge, Shirley, I finally decided to call her instead.

Shirley: Jazz piano, group classes, nobody sign up leh.
Me: Huh, nobody at all?
Shirley: Yes.

Obviously, Jazz isn't very popular among the Singaporeans, eh?
Otherwise, they are probably deterred by the minimum requirement. Probably people with the minimum requirement won't even bother attending these courses already.

Me: You mean, not even in future?
Shirley: Well, at least not in June. I am not sure about July.
Me: Sigh. What about the pop piano courses?
Shirley: But those are for the beginners who have no fundamentals in piano.
Me: Hmm.
Shirley: If you have, it is going to be too easy for you.
Me: Sigh. Do you all have violin courses?
Shirley: Uh no. Vocals?
Me: Huh.. No thanks.
Shirley: Drums?
Me: Mmm. Okay, transfer me to that department then.

So, the drums department girl was persuasive sufficiently to have me signed up within two minutes.

What a strange twist of fate. I very much prefer the classical sounds of violin and jazz piano but somehow I got signed up for drums?! This is like so WTF?

Ah well, I guess I can learn to play drums the jazz way too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. Never ask me. The reason why people don't sign up for Jazz Piano courses is that... there's nothing special in the course lah.

My piano teacher did show me the difference between Jazz pieces and our usual classical pieces (in fact she was quite into jazz at one point)... just a matter of someone teaching you the technique. Somewhat like adding pedals to your pieces... so it's nothing fanciful.

As for pop piano courses... I lend you all my pop songs scores lah. Just that all are chinese pop =P. They've been collecting dust in my piano seat anyway.

Violin would have been a better choice... easier to play. Then again, if you want drums rite... can always invest in the arcade machines. It's pretty realistic in terms of help you catch the rhythm and beat. Then all you need is to find a real drumer to teach you the proper way to hit. Other than that... no kick.

As usual, I think I've written another essay. Haha.

4:24 PM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

REMEMBER TO PASS ME YOUR SCORES AH.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes m'dam. Hee. =P

10:25 PM  
Blogger musette said...

what about me? i can't even read the scores, for gawd sake! sigh.

have always admired people who can play musical instruments, it's riveting to watch them play! not to mention the classy and learned impression that they give out and all.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home