Wednesday, May 17, 2006

On a More Morbid Note...

Yesterday, I caught up with a friend very briefly over Gmail Chat. I knew he was really busy with his new girlfriend and job, so I harshly admonished him. Much to my chagrin, I realized my reproach was undeserving because he confided that his mother was suddenly diagnosed with suspected lung cancer.

I did not know what to articulate as words of comfort. Sometimes, words are needless and very often, pointless. But I did note one thing - that humans, in realization that something is going to vanish from their lives, frequently desperately perform last-ditch attempts to grasp hold of it. One is often susceptible to the human flaw of appreciating someone/something only when it is almost gone.

Of course, I am not denying the fact that I am guilty of such oversight. But strangely, since I was young, I have been stricken by a fear of losing my loved ones everyday. Because of that view, I made it a point to spend adequate time conversing with my parents, to give tummy-rubs and coo sweet nothings at my beloved dog every morning, to attempt to bring my grandma out at least once in a while...

If it were to be my last day on earth, I wouldn't want to do anything differently.

So, on the bus to school today, I saw a girl with her grandmother at the bus stop. Apparently, her mother was on the same bus as me. The girl looked up, her eyes alit with happiness, blew her mother a kiss and squealed "I LOVE YOU!!!"

It was such a spontaneous heartwarming moment that made me wish I had a camera to capture it. I wondered if she would do the same thing to express her love a decade down the road.

Don't you hate those inhibitions that come with age?

It makes me want to go home and give my mum a big, big hug. Never mind if she is going to quip,"Eh siao ah? Hug so tight for what?"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least you still do shed those inhibitions once in a while...

I'm too comfortable such that I leave them there all the time. And my last day on earth would have been very, very different from my normal days I suppose.

11:43 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

Haha, since you know you have these inhibitions, why aren't you shedding them?

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home