Monday, May 15, 2006

Steamed Uncle Lapan on Mother's Day

One of my principles in eating is "Once you name it, you shouldn't eat it." Well, that is simply because when I have already exerted some sort of brain effort to name the entity affectionately, the last thing I want to do is to harm it. Like "Hey, mum, look. We can have Bobby for dinner tonight."

It sounds almost as innocent as having Bobby over for dinner when we are actually having Bobby as a palatable delicacy. How wrong is that?!

So, imagine my horror when I realized the Mother's Day Menu at our dinner last night included a dish called "Steamed Uncle Lapan". Uncle Lapan happens to be a sort of fish with very silky and tasty meat. My brother and dad were viciously poking and prying at the fish dish once it arrived.

"More meat here, more over here," quipped my brother as he manipulated his chopsticks to flip poor Uncle Lapan.

"Yes, here too," my dad responded by stabbing his chopstick into Uncle Lapan's eyeballs.

I cringed and wonder what dignity is left of Uncle Lapan to have every part of his body mercilessly torn apart for food, including his eyeballs and cheeks. Poor Uncle Lapan. He was so completely delectable and boneless, there was nothing left of him except for a spine. What is going to happen to the poor orphaned nephews and nieces??

Henceforth, if any of you are to think about opening an eatery or a restaurant, kindly refrain from naming your dish is any way that endears the entity to your customers. I mean, how would you feel to be eating an Uncle for dinner!? Pretty darn horrid, I bet.

Nevertheless, we proceeded with some dessert tapas at a very very remote Bakerzin. If only my dad would stop spouting "This is very sinful" with every bite of the dessert...



Happy Mother's Day, everyone. ('tis a little belated. :P)

4 Comments:

Blogger musette said...

HAHAHAHA! Perhaps you can also make sure none of your offsprings are named "LAPAN".

12:49 AM  
Blogger jellybeano said...

Right. But you never know which cockster will start naming dishes after any of my offsprings what. I am sure there is a drink somewhere called Sandy Beach lor.

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rolls eyes.
rolls rolls rolls eyes.

O_O

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rolls eyes.
rolls rolls rolls eyes.

O_O

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home