Monday, May 22, 2006

Corridor-Speak

Colin was my tutor when I was doing my first-year undergraduate. Now, he is a lecturer in the university and always conjures small talk when we pass each other along the corridor. Just a moment ago...

Colin: Heyy...
Me: Hello. How are you?
Colin: You are graduating already, right?
Me: Huh. No!
Colin: This year, July!
Me: No, I have one more year to go!
Colin: No, I want to see you at the convocation this July!
Me: Do I look that old?! I still have one more year!
Colin: Ah, I don't care. This July.
Me: ...
Colin: By the way, to graduate this July, the thesis is due...

He eyed his watch meaningfully.

Colin:... tomorrow!
Me: Right... I will try my best.
Colin: Ha Ha Ha! Good luck!

Ah, always the funny guy. You know, sometimes when life gets fucked up, you become acutely aware of tiny little details that can brighten your day. As I was fretting over my work and some complications in supervisor matters after various meetings today, one of my favorite professors passed me along the corridor.

Prof: Helloo!
Me: Hi...
Prof: How are things?
Me: Not good.
Prof: How can things be not good! You just came back from America!
Me: That's why. Now I miss America.
Prof: Ha Ha Ha. Okay I will ask your supervisor send you back again lah.

Yes, corridor-speak. Suddenly, it became conversations that seemingly brighten up the gloomy-looking Monday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colin as in Colin Tan the TA that just got his PhD last year...?

If so I got a lot of stories about him... kekeke. And most are not very good ones... =P

5:39 PM  
Blogger musette said...

toukarin: really?? hmm. my impression of him when i was in NUS was never bad. was about to comment that he's such a funny guy & he's got a pretty wife to boot too!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home