Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kinabalu Practice

As part of our training to Kinabalu Via Ferrata, we decided to embark on a trial of Via Ferrata at Orchard Central's BorderX. It is supposedly the world's tallest indoor Via Ferrata.

Woah.


A via ferrata is Italian for "road with irons". It refers to a mountain route which is equipped with fixed cables, stemples, ladders, and bridges. Climbers can follow vie ferrata without needing to use their own ropes and belays, and without the risks associated with unprotected scrambling and climbing. As compared to the indoor via ferrata, the one at Kinabalu looks a lot more intimidating!

If you miss a step and fall... it would be bye-bye.


Good luck to us all. Initially, looking at the indoor wall at Orchard Central, I was thinking it would be rather easy. I even showered before I left for the indoor climb, thinking it would be free of perspiration. It looks like it just involves climbing up rungs, doesn't it?

How wrong I was! Turns out it was extremely nerve-wrecking. I was holding on for my dear life in many instances, trying not to glance down at the ground floor of the mall ten stories away. At one time, Candice's watch fell into the abyss of the ground floor. I looked down at the guys resting at a narrow ledge and got a bout of vertigo. Uh oh, I wonder what is going to happen at Kinabalu.

This morning, thanks to the great weather, we went for a training hike at Bukit Timah. It was quite fun, and a good time to break into my pair of Timberland hiking boots that has been neglected in the shoe cupboard. Some pictures from Clarence's phone.

Don't mess with Candice.






Well, I think more training for Kinabalu is definitely needed. How does one get rid of this sniggering fear of heights?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home