Saturday, January 28, 2006

Being Ugly

What are the specifics that actually comprised of the word "ugly"?

I have a good girl friend who has very high standards of men in terms of physical looks and dressing. Most of the guys she ever gushed about are admittedly extremely good-looking and well-groomed hunks, equipped with muscular physique.

However, this friend of mine seemingly has a low tolerance towards the less endowed and blessed people. There are the ones who are not as good looking, not as well-groomed nor are they blessed with lean and mean to-die-for bodies. So often, I find her retorting "So ugly!" when I am describing a friend, or showing a picture, or judging a person physically present who belonged to this segment of the population.

Despite the frankness and cynism I appreciate in this friend, I find it hard to agree with her most of the times and extremely difficult to label anybody ugly. The most I could do is to express that the guy probably does not suit my taste. And more often than not, I find a person who is highly intellectual, highly talented, a person who is generous and kind, a person who makes me laugh the whole time, much more attractive that some handsome self-absorbed guys. I mean, I don't want to spend my time fighting the insane urge to slap the hunk out of his I-am-so-handsome-everyone-is-looking-at-me mode.

Anyway, the main point is, I never thought of anyone as being ugly. Most of the times, when I am introduced a person, I look for the most beautiful feature. Ah, he has nice eyes. Ah, doesn't she have the most graceful fingers? Almost always, I find something beautiful about a person. I may not be attracted to the person, but that doesn't mean he is ugly.

Ugly is such an ugly word. Do think about it the next time before you use it on someone. Nobody actually deserves the label.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home